A perfectly sized island lost in the icy Atlantic can make any traveler’s dream come true. Iceland is a magical place where you can see the most breathtaking views throughout your journey. Whether it’s chasing the Northern Lights in a volcanic scenery with no light or air pollution, driving across centuries-old glaciers in robust super jeeps and stopping for a sensational photographic moment, or explore the eclectic Reykjavik with its fine and fashionable Nordic life style, this four day winter wonderland itinerary can fulfill all your holiday wishes.
Day 1: Arrival
Upon arrival, you will be met and transferred from Keflavik airport to your hotel, 101 Hotel.
En route, you will visit Iceland’s most popular attraction, the Blue Lagoon. Blue Lagoon is a natural geothermal spa surrounded by lava field and black sandy beaches. Have “the swim of your life” enjoying the comfort of the warm lagoon water.
Then, you will continue your journey to the hotel. The 101 hotel communicates refined elegance, with a stylish sense of comfort pervading throughout. With a commanding presence in the oldest postal code of Reykjavík, 101 hotel neighbors the city’s administrative buildings, cultural institutions, main shopping district and the hub of restaurants, bars and nightlife.
You will have the remainder of the day at leisure to explore the surroundings or just relax.
Stay: 101 Hotel
Day 2: Exploring Reynisfjara and Admiring Northern Lights
Today you will be transferred from 101 Hotel to Hotel Ranga. Offering unrivalled service, warm hospitality and outstanding cuisine, Hotel Ranga will appeal to adventurous travelers seeking a secluded and relaxing escape in an enchanting setting, from where you can watch volcanoes explode and see the famed Northern Lights.
After some down time in the hotel, you will make your way to your next destination, Reynisfjara. Along the way you will see waterfallls, black sandy beaches, mountains and strange lava formations.
You can also try Ice walk-Climb (optional, all gear included), an easy walk on crampons up on to the ice field where a wonderland of ice sculptures, ridges and deep crevasses awaits discovery.
Later on that day, you will head back to your hotel. But your adventure does not stop there; in the evening, spend some time in the outdoors and try to catch a glimpse of the ethereal Northern Lights.
Stay: Hotel Ranga
Day 3: From Geysir to Gulfoss
Today you will have the option to meet with a local farmer in Fridheimar, a place where you can experience the diversity and freshness of Icelandic food and ingredients. Despite the cool climate and restricted growing season, a variety of food crops are grown, such as potatoes, turnips, carrots, cabbage, kale and cauliflower. Other vegetables such as tomatoes, cucumbers and green peppers, cut flowers and potted plants are grown in greenhouses heated with geothermal energy.
In the afternoon, you will have your lunch at The Great Geysir, the most famous geyser in Iceland. From there, you will make your way to one of the most impressive waterfalls in Europe, Gullfoss (Golden Waterfall). Here you will see thousands of tons of icy water thunder majestically down in a double-fall into a deep gorge from the glacier Langjokull.
Then you will continue to Geyser, the “geyser” which gave its name to all other erupting hot springs and one of the most active geysers in the area, Strokkur, spouting water up to 90 feet into the air.
If you prefer something more adventurous, an option would be to do Private Snowmobiling, which is an action packed experience on either glaciers or heaths, depending on weather conditions.
Stay: Hotel Ranga
Day 4: Departure
Today, you will depart Reykjavik and be transferred to the airport. However, you may still have time for activities depend on your flight back home.
Here are just a few suggested activities for your free time:
- Visit the site of the original Althing
- Walk down the main rift of Lake Thingvallavatn
- Dog sledging with the Husky dogs
|Day 1:||Arrival||101 Hotel|
|Day 2:||Exploring Reynisfjara and Admiring Northern Lights||Hotel Ranga|
|Day 3:||From Geysir to Gulfoss||Hotel Ranga|
- Accommodation with daily breakfast
- 24 hour emergency contact
- Activities mentioned in the itinerary
- English speaking tour guide
- International and domestic airfare
- Personal expenses
- Visa fees and/or visa authorization
- Tips and gratuities
- Other expenses not mentioned on the itinerary
- Travel insurance (please note that travel insurance is mandatory for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
From USD 4,000 based on two people travelling
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant.