Your first stop will be the swanky Grand Hotel Carlton, where a fleet of classic Mercedes-Benz SL cars awaits. You’ll soon be off on an unforgettable journey in your uber-cool open-top car through the mesmerizing region of Provence, famed for its dazzling riviera and known as a playground for the rich and famous. Drive along the Croisette Promenade in Cannes and the sparkling Mediterranean Sea, down quiet country roads, through charming villages, past fragrant fields of lavender and into the historic town of Grasse, the birthplace of the perfume world. Get a taste of European history when you visit the imposing amphitheatre in Arles and explore the charming medieval village of Avignon, sampling delectable French gastronomy en route.
Day 1: Cannes and the Corniche d’Or
Start your journey in the glamorous city of Cannes where you’ll stay at the historic Grand Hotel Carlton, a popular spot for the international jet set crowd. Enjoy the drive along the Croisette Promenade, the city’s most famous street, which stretches along the Cote d’Azur. You’ll soon head out onto the Corniche d’Or, one of the most scenic roads in Europe, where you’ll see the awe-inspiring landscapes of the Massif de l’Esterel, making sure to stop to enjoy the dramatic coastal views.
Stay: Grand Hotel Carlton
Day 2: Grasse and the Verdon Gorge
Today you’ll make your way up into the undulating hills north of Cannes and into Grasse, the perfume capital of the world. Here you’ll learn all about the art of perfume making at a traditional perfumery. Your journey continues into the French Maritime Alps and to the remarkable Verdon Gorge, considered one of Europe’s most beautiful gorges, where you’ll experience the captivating views of the Lac de Sainte Croiz. From there, you’ll continue past the floodplains of the Durance until you reach the charming Hotel Moulin de Vernegues, a converted 18th century windmill, where you’ll spend the next two nights.
Stay: Hotel Moulin de Vernegues
Day 3: Saint-Remy and Avignon
Set off towards the tiny village of Les-Baux-de-Provence, then on to Saint-Remy, a typical Provencal village, famous for inspiring some of Van Gogh’s greatest paintings, until you reach Avignon, where you’ll have time to explore the city of the popes. From there, you’ll travel to Notre-Dame de Senaque, a Cistercian abbey near Gordes in Luberon, one of the best places to see Provence’s famed lavender fields. Your accommodation for the night will be a rustic auberge, the perfect place to unwind after a tiring day and dine on the speciality, exquisite meat dishes.
Stay: Hotel Moulin de Vernegues
Day 4: Arles and the Camargue
On the last day, it’s up to you whether you once again visit the Roman city of Arles, famed for inspiring Van Gogh’s paintings or enjoy a leisurely drive through the Camargue, renowned for its unspoiled natural beauty, where you’ll have the chance see its unique breeds of birds, bulls and horses. As the trip comes to an end, return to the hotel and you will be chauffeur-driven to Nice Airport, when it will be time to say a fond farewell to this magical region.
|Day 1:||Cannes and the Corniche d’Or||Grand Hotel Carlton|
|Day 2:||Grasse and the Verdon Gorge||Hotel Moulin de Vernegues|
|Day 3:||Saint-Remy and Avignon||Hotel Moulin de Vernegues|
|Day 4:||Arles and the Camargue|
- Nostalgic Mercedes-Benz SL (W 113 and R 107) classic car to drive yourself, including fully comprehensive insurance (EUR 500 excess) and petrol
- Accommodation with daily breakfast
- 24 hour emergency contact
- Activities mentioned in the itinerary
- English speaking tour guide
- International and domestic airfare
- Personal expenses
- Visa fees and/or visa authorization
- Tips and gratuities
- Other expenses not mentioned on the itinerary
- Travel insurance (please note that travel insurance is mandatory for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
From USD 2,785 per person based on two guests travelling
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant.
- A private lesson in perfume-making in Grasse
- The awe-inspiring Verdon Gorge and the Lac de Saint Croix
- The picture-postcard medieval town of Avignon and Arles amphitheatre
- Driving the spectacular Corniche d’Or
- Notre-Dame de Senague abbey and its monastery garden
From USD 2,785 per person