The island’s legendary reputation for beautiful landscapes, elusive wildlife and gorgeous villas has attracted travellers from around the globe, and in just a week, there is much to be uncovered and experienced whilst in Sri Lanka. Our week-long escape to the Pearl of the Indian Ocean mixes culture, adventure and relaxation.
Day 1: Arrival into Colombo
Upon arrival, you will be met and transferred from the airport to your hotel, The Wallawwa. Built over 200 years ago in the traditional Dutch warehouse-style, the 14-bedroom Wallawwa combines old and new concepts in chic Sri Lankan style. Just 20 minutes from the airport and a short distance from the hustle and bustle of Colombo and the beaches of Negombo, this hotel’s location is spot on but is still very quiet and tucked away.
You will have the remainder of the day at leisure to relax at the hotel, as you have an early departure to Yala National Park the next day.
Stay: The Wallawwa
Day 2: From Colombo to Yala National Park
Today you will depart early in the morning to make your way to your next destination, Yala National Park where you will stay in the famed Leopard Safaris. Specialising in ecotourism camping adventures, which take you into the heart of the Sri Lankan wilderness, Leopard Safaris give travellers the chance to get up close to Sri Lankan wildlife.
The luxury camps in three different national parks are all designed to give you a unique experience and insight into the fascinating world of Sri Lankan wildlife, including elusive leopards. A stay at one of the Leopard Safari camps will be a truly memorable experience.
Here are just a few suggested activities for your free time in Yala National Park:
- Walking on on the golden sandy beaches nearby
- Visiting Sithulpauwe and Magul MahaViharaya
- Birding or observing birds in the area
- Safari Riding
- Exploring the jungle, freshwater lakes and rivers
Stay: Leopard Safaris
Day 3: Spotting wildlife in Yala National Park
Today you will go on a game drive in the Yala (Ruhuna) National Park, situated in the south east corner of the island, which is home to the greatest variety of Sri Lanka’s wildlife. Its varying habitats, provides home to many species of animals including sloth bear, herds of elephants, crocodiles and the endangered leopard sub-species, Panthera pardus kotiya, which can found only be found in Sri Lanka.
Stay: Leopard Safaris
Day 4: From Yala National Park to Galle
Departing from Yala National Park, you will travel 165 km to a fabulous boutique villa in Galle, Why House. Only a short walk from the beautiful Wijaya beach, Why House is nestled within 3 acres of stunningly landscaped gardens of tropical plants, fruit and spice trees. The rooms fuse sophisticated European tastes with the tropics of Sri Lanka creating a luxurious and comforting home for you and your family.
You will have the remainder of the day at leisure to explore the surroundings or just relax.
Stay: Why House
Day 5-6: Exploring Galle
You have these few days free at your leisure to relax and enjoy all that the South Coast has to offer.
Optional activities and tours we can arrange for you here:
• Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Galle Fort, the Cricket Stadium in Galle, Hospital Street, Church Street or Leyn Bann Street for an assortment of accessories and silks, saris and local spiced goodies
• Unawatuna Beach
• Turtle Hatchery
• Rainforest excursion
• Boat ride in Koggala Lake including possible visits to a temple, a spice garden, a cinnamon island and a bird sanctuary
• Excursions by Bike
• Scuba Diving
• Tea Estate and Factory Tour
• Water Sports
Stay: Why House
Day 7: Departure
Today, you will depart Galle and be transferred to the airport to catch your return flight home.
|Day 1:||Arrival into Colombo||The Wallawwa|
|Day 2:||From Colombo to Yala National Park||Leopard Safaris|
|Day 3:||Spotting wildlife in Yala National Park||Leopard Safaris|
|Day 4:||From Yala National Park to Galle||Why House|
|Day 5-6:||Exploring Galle||Why House|
- Daily breakfast at Wallawwa and Why house
- Full board basis at Leopard Safaris
- All transfers
- One massage
- Cooking class at Why House
- Bike ride through paddy fields
- 24 hour emergency contact
- International airfaire
- Personal expenses
- Tips & gratuities
- Travel insurance (please note that travel insurance is mandatory for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
From USD 2,800 per person (based on two guests travelling, excluding flights)
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant
- Observing wildlife – look out for cheetahs, bears and elephants
- Glamping in Sri Lanka’s National Parks
- Exploring the charming town of Galle
- Relaxing in Why House, a beautiful villa
From USD 2,800 per person