Jump aboard the renowned National Geographic Explorer and set sail to Antarctica with Lindblad Expeditions. An exciting adventure, the journey to Antarctica is bound to be a memorable one. This itinerary is a unique experience where you will be able to admire wildlife (seals, whales, penguins and many more), spectacular landscapes and feel like a true adventurer as you sail the Drake Passage. Everyday is filled with new adventures and unforgettable experiences: from kayaking with seals, to walking on the Antarctic continent, to watching dancing whales. Aboard, an expedition leader, eight veteran naturalists, a National Geographic photographer, plus a Lindblad-National Geographic certified photo instructor, an undersea specialist, a Global Perspectives guest speaker, a video chronicler, and a wellness specialist are there to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
This voyage is also possible aboard the National Geographic Orion, with a few variations.
Day 1: Arrival into Buenos Aires
Your journey to Antarctica starts off in Buenos Aires. Upon arrival into the Argentine capital, you will be transferred to your hotel, Caesar Park Hotel for a quick rest before heading out for a guided tour of the city in the afternoon.
Stay: Caesar Park Hotel
Day 2: Fly to Ushuaia, embark ship
Today, you will fly off to Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world where you will embark on the National Geographic Explorer. Before setting off to Antarctica, you will have lunch aboard a catamaran cruise and sail through the scenic Beagle Channel.
Day 3: Crossing the Drake Passage
Once you wake up in the morning, the ship will have already sailed well into the Drake Passage, which lies between Cape Horn and the Antarctic Peninsula. Look out for dolphins, whales and albatross flying up high. Crossing the Drake Passage is an unforgettable experience for any adventure travel!
Day 4 - 9: Exploring Antarctica
During the next 6 days, you will have lots of time to explore Antarctica. With nearly 24 hours of daylight, you will be able to make the most of the breath-taking landscapes and abundant Antarctic wildlife. There is no fixed itinerary to allow for flexibility and take into account local weather conditions.
Whilst in Antarctica, you can hop on a zodiac and get closer to impressive icebergs, go kayaking and admire seals playing around as they watch you row by, make for land and immerse yourself in a huge penguin colony and so much more. During your voyage, a National Geographic photographer will be on board to give you tips on how to capture the beautiful landscape and wildlife that comes before you.
Day 10 - 11: At sea
The next 2 days, you will slowly cruise your way back to Ushuaia. On the way, continue admiring the bountiful wildlife or take the opportunity to pamper yourself with a massage, hit the gym or just relax.
Day 12: Disembark
You will arrive in Ushuaia in the morning, where you will have time to explore the city before flying off to Buenos Aires and catching your return flight home.
|Day 1:||Arrival into Buenos Aires||Caesar Park Hotel|
|Day 2:||Fly to Ushuaia, embark ship||National Geographic Explorer|
|Day 3:||Crossing the Drake Passage||National Geographic Explorer|
|Day 4 - 9:||Exploring Antarctica||National Geographic Explorer|
|Day 10 - 11:||At sea||National Geographic Explorer|
- Accommodation aboard National Geographic ship
- All meals and non-alcoholic beverages
- Facilities aboard (fitness center, library, physician)
- Sightseeing and entrance fees
- Special access permits, park fees, port taxes
- Transfers to and from group flights
- The expertise of our expedition staff
- All excursions
- Zodiac & kayak explorations
- Snorkeling, including wetsuits, masks, fins & snorkel where relevant
- Presentations and guest speakers in the lounge
- International flights
- Personal expenses
- Visa if applicable
- Travel insurance (please note that travel insurance is mandatory for all Lightfoot Travel holidays)
From USD 12,970 per person for a category 1 cabin aboard National Geographic Explorer
From USD 12,970 per person for a category 1 cabin aboard National Geographic Orion.
Notes on our prices
- This price guide provides you with a broad indication of how much to budget for your holiday.
- Prices are generally based on two people travelling together (unless stated otherwise) on a shared room basis.
- Prices can fluctuate depending on season, standard of accommodation, excursions selected (private versus shared) etc.
- This basic structure works very nicely, but don’t forget that Lightfoot Travel can provide a range of experiences and we tailor-make each itinerary based on your travel requirements. Get in touch to start planning your perfect trip with your own travel consultant
- Discover one of the least visited and most unique continents
- Admire an incredible array of wildlife (penguins, whales, seals, birds…)
- Improve your photography skills with a National Geographic photographer
- Cross the Drake Passage, one of the most difficult passages.
From USD 12,970 per person